Toll Free (866) 885-9785

Leases, Nannies and Additional Living Expense

Tina Jackson, ALE Housing Solutions National Account Manager, continues our series of posts regarding questions relevant to loss of use claims. Tina addresses two common scenarios regarding the insured utilizing their policy’s Additional Living Expense (a.l.e.) over opting to receive a Fair Rental Value (FRV) payout.

Note: As a general rule, when a policyholder is requesting payment for Additional Living Expenses, not all requests are covered, and they must meet certain criteria before they get paid. Of course, we suggest comparing our answers to your specific Additional Living Expense policies.

Learn How ALE Works with Nannies & Leases

Q. A family rents an apartment for one year at $1,000 per month with the full knowledge that there is a one-month lease break fee. After five months, the family’s damaged home is repaired and ready for them to move back in. Does insurance cover the fee?

Learn How Additional Living Expense Works with Nannies & Leases
A. The early termination fee would be a covered expense as the homeowner would not need to pay it as part of their normal living expense. Signing a one-year lease would typically allow the policyholder/insurance company to take advantage of a lower rate from the start of the lease. Paying a termination fee once the policyholder can move back into the damaged residence may be more cost effective than signing a short-term lease and paying a premium. In my experience, the average 3-month lease term is extended at least once due to unforeseen delays in the repair process. Each extension on a short-term lease is subject to a short-term premium. To alleviate the issue, the insurance adjuster could agree to a one year lease with a termination fee.

Q. The family has a live-in nanny. Will you pay for a separate hotel room for the nanny?
A. Additional Living Expense is typically extended to any “member” of the family that lives in the home at the time of loss. So, nannies living in the damaged residence at the time of loss would be covered under the policy for the additional living expense. If the live-in nanny had their own room in the damaged residence, they would be allowed a private room in a temporary residence (in most cases depending on the coverage amounts), be it a hotel or longer-term temporary housing. Each insurance company handles these situations differently, and it is something you should discuss with your insurance adjuster.

Learn How Additional Living Expense Works with Nannies & LeasesI LOVE MY JOB because “Working at ALE Solutions has been and continues to be a blessing in my life! I work with an awesome group of people, and the leadership is wonderful!  I have built strong relationships inside and outside of the office.” – Tina

Photo credits: ©, monkeybusinessimages, kali9





Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

  • MyALE

    Claims Portal

    • Personalize a dashboard
    • Manage in real-time
    • Access on all devices
    • Request or extend temporary housing with one click

    Learn More

  • Join Our Facebook Fan Page Check Us Out On Instagram Follow Us On Google+ Follow Us On LinkedIn Follow Us On Twitter View Our YouTube

  • Weather Safety

  • Instagram
    • HAPPY HALLOWEEN ALE STYLE!!! Halloween2017 TeamALE ILoveMyJob ALESolutions
      3 weeks ago by alesolutions HAPPY HALLOWEEN ALE STYLE!!!  #Halloween2017   #TeamALE   #ILoveMyJob   #ALESolutions 
    • Gainesville FL  ALECares provided transportation and hotel accommodations tohellip
      3 weeks ago by alesolutions Gainesville, FL – ALECares provided transportation and hotel accommodations to 18 year old Drew Hazlett, the newest family member of Tim Tebow Foundation’s W15H program! With knowing that Drew was the ULTIMATE Gator’s fan, we knew we had to do everything possible to get him and his family to stay in downtown Gainesville. It was both a game weekend AND homecoming weekend for UF! And Drew got to experience all of the fun and excitement at the center of it all. We surprised Drew with a basket of his favorite snacks and treats, and we loved getting to watch his…
    • Trick or Treat! ALE wishes you a very HappyHalloween! Forhellip
      3 weeks ago by alesolutions Trick or Treat! ALE wishes you a very  #HappyHalloween ! For tips and reminders on fall holiday safety, visit:
    • Veterans and active duty members we salute you Thank youhellip
      1 week ago by alesolutions Veterans and active duty members, we salute you. Thank you for serving our country and protecting our freedom!  #VeteransDay 
    • ALECares was honored to work with timtebowfoundation to help makehellip
      6 days ago by alesolutions ALECares was honored to work with  @timtebowfoundation  to help make Keiwond's  #W15H  come true!!
Get fresh, free content delivered monthly »
About Us  |  Contact Us  |  Legal / Privacy  |  Sitemap