It is officially springtime. That means it is time to get ready for summer! Do you have a spring cleaning checklist in order? Take advantage of the mild spring weather to make sure your home is in tip-top shape, so that you can kick back and enjoy the upcoming summer days. Careful inspection around your home to detect problems before they escalate can mean the difference between a minor repair job or more severe damage. With care and safety in mind, we have put together a spring cleaning checklist to help make important seasonal home maintenance efficient, fast and easy.
10 Key Tasks for Your Spring Cleaning Checklist
1. Start with your air conditioning unit since it is likely going to get a workout. Check the hoses for splits or leaks. Change your filter, and verify that your drain pans are clear and ready to do their job. If you have a service contract with a local HVAC company, have them stop by for a spring tune-up.
2. Inspect the roof. Use binoculars to scout for problems. Keep an eye out for:
- Missing, shifted or cracked tiles or shingles.
- Loose fasteners or nails (water can penetrate the roof if the nails have popped out of place).
- Water puddle(s).
- Bent or tilted vent pipes.
- Shrunken, lifted or cracked sealants.
- Cracks in the chimney bricks or mortar (if your joints have a coat of white film, water is being absorbed).
3. Check your walls for problems under the eaves and by the downspouts. Look for openings in wood siding that could allow in bugs, birds or squirrels looking to build a cozy nest in your attic or wall.
4. Look at your exterior foundation. If you notice cracks in your foundation, call a professional to schedule a time to make repairs. This job is best left to a professional.
5. Check for leaks around windows. Aside from dirt and water, leaks will let in the warm summer air and cooled indoor air will escape. Use caulk and weatherproofing strips as necessary to seal your windows.
6. Check your attic and basement for signs of insects, rodents or other pests. If you notice termite tunnels in wood beams, call an exterminator. Look for cracks at the bottom of the concrete walls in your basement.
7. Check indoor and outdoor plumbing for leaky faucets and clogged drains. Be sure to check under sinks to ensure all connections do not have issues with the seals. Check the hoses on your washing machine, dryer and water heater for cracks. Additionally, check and clean your dryer vent (for details, see our post on How to Clean a Dryer Vent)!
8. Patrol your lawn and garden. Remove any debris. Prune any dead limbs from your trees. Apply some herbicide to your lawn to prevent weeds.
9. Clean and seal your wooden deck. Your deck should be cleaned once a year to help extend its life and to identify needed repairs.
10. If you have not used your gas grill over winter, ensure the hoses are securely connected and check the burner jets for clogs. If you own a charcoal grill, rid it of any ash or grease residue.
These ten spring cleaning checklist tasks will prepare and help keep your home safe from the summer weather. They are easy, and they will protect your investment.
Now that you have your spring cleaning checklist stay tuned for more tips here on Discover!
Help be more prepared for disasters by learning about ALE’s disaster response solutions.
Photo credits: ©iStock.com/Elenathewise, AlexRaths, NinaMalyna, galinast, senkaya, tab1962